Evolution of the Footprint
It is believed that William Heiss built the original, Federal-style rectangular house on the property sometime between 1818 and 1834.
While Captain Hutchinson owned the home, he enlarged the house with a two story hexagonal addition. The first story room was likely used as the dining room and the second story room was probably a bedroom.
When the Grundy family purchased the home in 1884, they spent a year renovating the house and transformed it into the Queen Anne mansion that exists today.
The Grundys added rooms onto the front and back of the house, a grand staircase, porches, and a central heating system, among many other features.